Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Big 18!

Happy Days!
 
I can now buy toys off of the cartoon channel!
 
 

 

 
My day was fantastic! I got to work horses, workout, & most importantly, spend time with my family!

 
 I will be getting a saddle custom made for the occasion. ;)

 
The pictures above were taken on this {rainy/foggy spring} morning
on my {6 year old} #RanchstyleBeans, 
during his little long-trot-hill-climbing workout.
 
It was LEG DAY for everyone!
 

Have to give a quick update on #RockNRollRoni {who will officially be 2 years old the end of June}: I am very positive that I will be riding this gem by the end of THIS month.
He is super nice & I am super excited!

 
On a different subject..
 
 
My family & I hardly ever have actual cake for our "birthday cake".
 
I went through a spurt when I had my mom make {the best} chocolate chip cookies {on the face of the earth}, but this year {as well as last year..} my mom made Turtle Bars.
 
 
These bars are the pinnacle of "rich chocolaty-caramel goodness" & they actually include a cake mix in the ingredients, so they are super {almost TOO} simple.

Anywho, I want to share the delicious recipe with you all! Make sure you have some vanilla ice cream or a jug of milk on hand..
 
 
Or coffee, if you are sneaking them before breakfast..
 ..don't any of you sweet, innocent, people pretend to not know what I am talking about.
  • 1 German Chocolate Cake Mix
  • 1/3 Cup Softened Butter
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Package {2 Cups} Chocolate Chips
  • 1 1/2 Cups Chopped Pecans
  • 1 Jar {12.25 Ounces} Caramel Ice Cream Topping
  • 3 Tablespoons Flour
In a medium bowl, combine the German chocolate cake mix, softened butter, & egg. Once thoroughly mixed, reserve 1 cup of the mixture in a small bowl & set aside.

Next, press the remaining mixture into a greased 13x9 pan. Bake this portion of the "cake"-bars at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly puffy.

When you pull it out of the oven {don't shut the oven off; you aren't done!} sprinkle the pecans & chocolate chips over the top of the first layer of the cake-bars.

In a small bowl combine the jarred caramel topping with the flour & pour the sauce on top of the pecans & {melting} chocolate chips.

Thennnnn sprinkle the 1 cup of reserved cake mixture all over this melty goodness.

Finally, bake the entire pan of cake-bars at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until the toppings begins to bubble. 

I know it will be very hard to resist, but let the bars cool COMPLETELY {I promise they'll be worth it} before you cut & indulge.   
 
Viola! Turtle Bars for everyone!
Or just yourself.

What did you do for your big 1-8? What is your favorite birthday "cake"?
xo - J

4 comments:

  1. Looks tasty, I think I will be trying that soon! The first picture is beautiful, you are lucky to have scenery like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know of you like them! (: I am very blessed to live the life that I do!

      Delete
  2. That horse is beautiful. I just might try these! It look delicious. And Happy b-day! We don't really do cake either. but I do like ice cream cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have to agree with you about my good lookin' ponies.. ;) haha. Thank you very much!! You'll have to let me know if you try these Turtle Bars! My mom makes a reeeeally good chocolate crockpot cake - which is one of my favorites.

      Delete