I'm tellin' y'all... delishhhhh!
For 1 Sandwich -
- 2 Slices (1/2-inch-thick) Hearty Bread (Sourdough, Multigrain, etc.)
- 4 Slices Tick-Cut Bacon; Cooked Crisp
- 4 Slices Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Granny Smith Apple; Cored & Sliced Thin
- Roasted Red Onion Mayo; Recipe Follows
Assemble this sandwich just as you would a traditional grilled cheese:
- Spread 1 slice of bread with some Red Onion Mayo.
- Top with 2 slices Cheddar.
- Then the bacon & apple slices.
- Then 2 more slices of Cheddar.
- Finishing with another mayo-slathered slice of bread.
- Butter the outsides of the bread & trasfer to the hot grill.
Remove to a cutting board & cut the sandwich in half on the diagonal to serve.
Roasted Red Onion Mayo
- 1 Medium Red Onion; Chopped
- 2 t. Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 c. Mayonnaise
Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, until the onion is very soft, stirring occasionally.
Remove from oven & let cool.
Transfer to a food processor & buzz until the onion is finely chopped. Add the mayo & pulse until smooth & combined.